Confession of Faith
The Association of Independent Evangelical Lutheran Churches has a simple Confession of Faith. We allow our clergy and congregational members to interpret both the Holy Scriptures and the Book of Concord according to the dictates of their conscience as led by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit with the following exceptions from which there must be no deviation.
The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven,
and sits on the right hand of God the Father almighty.
From there he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
The Creed of 1803
1. We believe that the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments contain a revelation of the character of God and of the duty, interest and final destination of mankind.
2. We believe that there is one God, whose nature is love, revealed in one Lord Jesus Christ, by one Holy Spirit of Grace, who will finally restore the whole family of mankind to holiness and happiness.
3. We believe that holiness and true happiness are inseparably connected and that believers ought to be careful to maintain order and practice good works; for these things are good and profitable unto men.
Article VI Augsburg Confession
We believe, teach and confess that true Christian faith should produce good works and that we must do good works because God has commanded them; however, we should do them for Christ's sake and never place our trust in them in order to obtain favor before God.
Other Essential of Beliefs
1. We are faithful to the Lutheran distinctives of Word and Sacrament and Law and Gospel.
2. We practice Open Communion and Infant Baptism.
3. We oppose exorcism and all other forms of deliverance ministries.
4. We oppose same-sex marriage but support the rights of gays and lesbians to marry and adopt in a free society.
5. We support the ordination of women and do not ordain practicing gays and lesbians.
6. We oppose capital punishment, euthanasia, and abortion except to save the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest.
™©1988-2020 Association of Independent Evangelical Lutheran Churches|All Rights Reserved.